Kayaking or canoeing is one of the most popular watersports in the UK and Ireland, with more and more people paddling each year. Whether you’re a start-up novice or a seasoned pro, our safety tips will help you to paddle safe.
- Always carry a means of calling for help and keep it within reach: If it can't be reached in an emergency, it's no help.
- Wear a personal floatation device (PFD).
- Check the weather and tides.
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you'll be back.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the conditions and your trip.
- Get some training: Contact your local canoe club and look for coaching sessions run by a British Canoeing or Canoeing Ireland coach.